Date:      Wed, 27 Apr 2011 17:32:36 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>
Subject:   Multicast questions

I have some strange problems with multicast.
Tested host is running FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE.
System is a jailed environment.

Outside of the jail I can start a multicast reader:
[54]host# mcastread -v6 lo0 ff35::fe00:1 5356
mcastread: trying ff35::fe00:1
mcastread: using ff35::fe00:1

Inside the jail however it fails on binding to the address:
[85]jail# mcastread -v6 lo0 ff35::fe00:1 5356
mcastread: trying ff35::fe00:1
mcastread: bind: Can't assign requested address
mcastread: can't allocate socket

Is there any workaround for this problem?
I've read about vimage, but I would like to live without it.

Sending to the multicast group works more or less:
[94]jail# echo test | mcastsend ff35::fe00:1 5356
mcastsend: send: No route to host
Exit 1
[95]jail# echo test | mcastsend -i lo0 ff35::fe00:1 5356
The last one is received with the reader running on the host.
But why do I get a no route to host error without using an
interface for a site local address?

With the only anycast address configured to lo0 using another interface
fails inside the jail:
[99]jail# echo test | mcastsend -i em0 ff35::fe00:1 5356
mcastsend: Failed to bind source address.
Exit 1
Do I really need to configure the address to the LAN interface?

--
B.Walter <bernd@bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de