Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2006 21:06:08 +0100
From:      Nils Vogels <nivo@yuckfou.org>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS port using GEOM

--------------enig85F27E4EB37AF7F6C372D358

Hi there!

I'm reading up on ZFS, Solaris's new filesystem that has a level of RAID
built in. You can read it too at
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/whatis/

While reading the documents, I was really charmed by the features ZFS
has incorporated, and was wondering if there was any effort within the
FreeBSD community to port ZFS to FreeBSD (using GEOM would seem the most
likely choice, so thats why I'm posting to this list.)

Research on various mailing lists taught me that there is only a few
mentions on the -hackers list in 2004, nothing else seems to pop up.

Are there any plans or efforts to incorporate ZFS into FreeBSD, that you
know of, or constructions with similar features?
It would save me an install of OpenSolaris, plus the effort needed to
learn the internals of yet another *NIX version :-)

Greetings,

Nils