Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2003 18:30:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/48101: There's no documentation on the fixit disk anywhere.

The following reply was made to PR docs/48101; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To: Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: 08 Feb 2003 18:25:41 -0800

 > >           <para>The fixit disk is used when your systems root file
 "system's root"
 I'm not sure if you mean this paragraph to apply to both floppy and
 CDROM.  Isn't the purpose of the CDROM broader than just / repair?
 I thought this para was about the floppy until I got to the third para
 and became unsure.  If it's about both, "The" should be "A", since "The"
 sound like there's only one (kind).  Maybe mention floppy & CDROM here.
 > >           system cannot be mounted read-only at boot time. The sole
 AFAIK, the FAQ uses only "filesystem" and not "file system". Same below..
 > >           purpose of the disk is to repair the root file system so you
 > >           can mount it, and continue the process of bringing up the
 Better without comma. (The sentence naturally divides before "so".)
 > >           <para>The fixit CDROM has most of the functionality of a
 > >           complete FreeBSD install. It does not have
 Comma at end?
 > >           and <filename>/usr/sbin</filename> are all there. You
 > >           <para>Other useful commands are &man.ed.1; and whatever you
 > >           use to restore from backups. Ed can be used to repair broken
 "The &man.ed.1 command can"

 > >           <para>It is advisable to use &man.fdisk.8; - if appropriate -
 Dare to just advise it:  "Use &man.fdisk.8..."
 Or use true weasel words: "Many people use..." or "It's helpful to use...".