Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2017 09:46:37 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Cc:        blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com>, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kernel names

--yBpClG5lv0ksn6ne

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 09:17:36AM -0800, bob prohaska wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 01:47:13PM +0800, blubee blubeeme wrote:
> > When you boot into FreeBSD and you can select kernels, there's only 2
> > default and kernel.old
> >=20
> > Is there a way to have better output and support multiple kernels witho=
ut
> > having to login to the system and running uname -v or something like th=
at?
> >=20
> > Would it be possible to add options for more kernels from that boot men=
u?
>=20
> Unless I've been fooling myself, it's possible now. Just stop the boot
> loader during loading by hitting the spacebar and type=20
> boot kernelname
> at the loader prompt

As Allan Jude pointed out earlier in the thread, it's a lot easier than
that: just set the "kernels" variable in /boot/loader.conf.

For example, I update, build, boot, and run FreeBSD on my laptop daily.
That process installs /boot/kernel (after moving the previous one to
/boot/kernel.old).  I like to keep a "recent known-working" kernel
around that isn't automagically replaced, so:

g1-252(11.1-S)[1] grep kernel /boot/loader.conf=20
# Experiment to see if kernel.save can be an option from the boot menu
kernels=3D"kernel kernel.old kernel.save"
g1-252(11.1-S)[2]=20

(And yes, it does work -- verified empirically.)

Peace,
david
--=20
The US "cannot afford" Trump as President or Roy Moore in the Senate.

--yBpClG5lv0ksn6ne

--yBpClG5lv0ksn6ne--