Date:      Wed, 4 Nov 2020 18:04:28 -0400
From:      D'Arcy Cain <darcy@druid.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network woes SOLVED!

--dCJOSf2SHfF77luToRzmFdbltyF44vszJ
From: D'Arcy Cain <darcy@druid.net>
To: freebsd-net@freebsd.org

--bLwQdM31CRH7E4O8hi133Kq9VvBybZLx3

--------------44215635C1BC0920B3023C39

On 10/29/20 7:02 AM, D'Arcy Cain wrote:
> Turns out it has nothing to do with virtualization.=C2=A0 It never occu=
rred to me=20
> to test that the host could access the Internet since I had no problem =

> connecting and logging in.=C2=A0 However, everything I described for th=
e VM=20
> applies to the host as well.=C2=A0 Here is my current setup.

OMG!!!

I can't believe how simple the fix was.  Kind of embarrassing except that=
=20
the error was not mine.

To recap, my system has two networks, a public facing one and a private b=
ack=20
channel.  I put the public address on the public side and the private=20
address on the back one.  Simple.  It is unless the person installing the=
=20
hardware switches the ethernet cables.  The surprising thing is not that =
it=20
failed but that it worked at all.

The one system that this server could connect to was also a VM system alb=
eit=20
set up differently.  It must have somehow routed the public address to th=
e=20
back channel into what the host thought was the public side.

The world makes sense again.

--=20
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
+1 416 788 2246     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.
IM: darcy@VybeNetworks.com, VoIP: sip:darcy@druid.net

Disclaimer: By sending an email to ANY of my addresses you
are agreeing that:

1.  I am by definition, "the intended recipient".
2.  All information in the email is mine to do with as I see
     fit and make such financial profit, political mileage, or
     good joke as it lends itself to. In particular, I may quote
     it where I please.
3.  I may take the contents as representing the views of
     your company if I so wish.
4.  This overrides any disclaimer or statement of
     confidentiality that may be included or implied in
     your message.