Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 04:09:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tom@uniserve.com (Tom)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, sthaug@nethelp.no, jas@flyingfox.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which PCI Ethernet card is best for FreeBSD-current?

> > If it's DOWN, what happens to the link state?
>
>   Nothing.  It is only DOWN if link/carrier is lost.  If carrier/link is
> lost, set interface to DOWN.  If carrier/link resumes set interface to UP.
>
> > Are you only considering 10bT here?
>
>   Even 10b5 can detect loss of carrier, perhaps not all adapters.

I'm mostly concerned with link, not carrier.

If it down's on link-lost, and link is asserted only if up, then BSD
to BSD will have a hard time coming up.  Both of them would have to
assert at the same time (unless you limit it to on-to-off link transition).

Even then, you would need to set the link up manually on both sides.

I guess I just don't get the value of downing the link, ever.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.