Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:40:21 +0300
From:      Teemu.Parkkinen@patria.fi
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Digital-tv card drivers and API discussion

> > 1) Should we use Linux-DVB API as a reference,  or should we consider
some
> > changes to it? The API seems to be constantly changing and improving.
> > Version 3 is available here:
> > http://www.linuxtv.org/download/dvb/linux-dvb-api-1.0.0.pdf
> > but they are currently working on version 4. In my opinion, the API
should
> > be minimal, but complete, so there is no need to constantly add new
> > features to it.
>

> If the API in your evaluation is reasonably OK, we should stick with it
> (or a subset of it).  Being directly compatible gives a lot of benefits.

I agree.

> > In other words, we have to write the driver from scratch. In this case
> > we don't have to stick with the Linux DVB-API and therefore I suggest
> > that we give think the api through before deciding how we implement
> > it (do we follow linux api or not).
>
> What issues do you see with the Linux API that would make us want to
> change it?

I would prefer not to change it. I think it's quite ok, yet it still
seems to be evolving a bit. I don't think however, that this is a big
issue because dvb has been included in 2.6 linux-ernels and therefore I
doubt that they want to change it much.

I will take a look on the most current linux api and implement FreeBSD
driver
based on that. If you have ideas on this that I should take into account,
please let me know.

-Teemu