Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 18:45:00 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "Eric D. Futch" <efutch@nyct.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dev/vx/if_vx_pci.c 5.0-CURRENT

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 09:35:31PM -0400, Eric D. Futch wrote:
> I figured it would take more work than I put into it.  It was just a shot
> in the dark.  I think I have one of these cars in my Linux box at home
> which I wouldn't mind ripping out and sticking in this machine.  Let me
> know if it's still worth me poking around in, or if you're going ahead
> with the rewrite.  I'm gonna keep playing with it out of my own
> interest on newbusifying things. Maybe once I get a bigger clue of what
> has to be done, I'll see about newbusifying other things.  I always have
> all this extra time on my hands :)

I've posted a rewrite, but I can't test it.  You might go ahead and take
the card out of the Linux box and play around with it.  There's plenty
of other work to be done on this driver to make it fully modern beyond
just a simple newbus conversion.  The current static storage of softc's
really should be replaced.  A bus_space conversion would also be a good
thing.  Storing the resource pointers in the softc for removal in the
detach function would probalby be a good thing.  If you take a look at
PR kern/17601 you'll find a patch I wrote to modernize the tx driver.
In and of it self, it's probably too complicated to be very useful to
learn from, but I mention four revisions of if_fxp which do individual
parts of the conversion.  Upgrading tx was a good six hourish exercise.
I've got a much better understanding of probe and attach now.

-- Brooks