Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:59:41 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ??? how to access log messages from boot sequence

> Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:46:29 +0100
> From: j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I've seen a few messages during boot that I can't quite catch.  They are not
> kernel messages, so they don't appear in dmesg, and after the login prompt
> comes up, you can't scroll back, either.  They seem to come from rc.network.
> I've seen a glimpse of the word 'blackhole' which I know is a networking
> setting, but I can't seem to tell what the other is before all the rest of
> the output scrolls by.
>
> Is there a place where this is all captured, or a way to pause it?

Not by default, but you can edit your /etc/syslog.conf to log it to
the file of your choice. Configure it to log console.info to a file.

But why can't you scroll back? rc.network is fairly late in the boot
and I can scroll back over the whole thing. Just hit ScrLk (or
whatever your keyboard calls it) and use the cursor keys or the PageUp
and PageDn keys.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)