Date:      Mon, 21 May 2012 11:15:46 +0800
From:      Marcelo Araujo <araujobsdport@gmail.com>
To:        Trent Nelson <trent@snakebite.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mirror of Raidz for data reliability

2012/5/19 Trent Nelson <trent@snakebite.org>

> Hi Marcelo,
>

> >2012/5/17 George Kontostanos <gkontos.mail@gmail.com>
> >

> >Not no.You can use Devd to start some scripts to mount the FS in another
> >machine or something like that.
> >But I can't be focused only in this scenario, I believe there are much
> >more
> >application for it.
>
> I'm in a similar situation with Snakebite.  I have two boxes that can see
> a common set of disks (via FC SAN).  I'm interested in failover, but like
> you, I don't want to use HAST -- why duplicate data when both machines can
> access the disks?
>
> I came across these articles yesterday, which are pretty neat:
>
>        CARP and devd on FreeBSD:
> http://blather.michaelwlucas.com/archives/224
>        Automated CARP/HAST
> Failover:       http://blather.michaelwlucas.com/archives/241

Yeap, you can use CARP + anything else to help you make it work.
However in my case, if I have a JBOD fail, I want to be able to import the
another JBOD with all data, so in my case I need raidz + vdev(mirror).

Currently, I made a patch and now it works pretty well, but I'm doing some
more tests to check if I'll face out any problem.

Best Regards,
--
Marcelo Araujo
araujo@FreeBSD.org