Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 20:47:20 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: From Slashdot...

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > ...is FreeBSD destined to be a "server" environment only, with anyone
> > wanting to do any serious graphics or multimedia needing to fall onto the
> > Linux bandwagon?
>
> Yes.  Interest in the desktop has been so marginal as to make it no
> longer worth even thinking about and I think it's time to realize that
> the server is our bread and butter.

Thank you...this answers my question perfectly...

> Everyone talks about how nice desktop support would be but nobody DOES
> anything and, as a result, every initiative to support the desktop
> more seriously in FreeBSD has been a dead loss.  The desktop contest
> went down without so much as a single decent entry, XiG sold about 3
> copies of CDE for FreeBSD when they made a play for the (non-existent)
> FreeBSD desktop market (and don't tell me this was just anti-CDE
> attitudes in action since they sold thousands of copies for Linux) and

Just curious, but I've used CDE on Solaris, and KDE on FreeBSD, and tend
to prefer KDE for two reasons: it does everything I want, and its free.
I'd throw in "less bloated" also, but I'm not sure if CDE's "bloat" is a
Solaris problem or CDE...

> the attempt to bring 3DFX support to FreeBSD has been so long in
> coming that I'm no longer even waiting for it, etc.

Forgive my ignorance, but 3DFx support...is that a kernel thing?  Seperate
from X-Windows?

> Do I sound bitter about this?  Perhaps just a bit.  For whatever
> reason, the multimedia developers have not seen fit to actually
> develop multimedia support in FreeBSD and, as a result, we merely have
> a lot of users milling around asking when their hardware is going to
> work.

Just curious, but what is happening as far as modularizing(sp?) the kernel
and its drivers is concerned?  One of the things that a friend of mine
raves about, as far as Linux is concerned, is the fact that, without
having to reboot his machine, he can install (assuming hot-swappable
hardware) a Adaptec controller, type a command, and the driver is included
into the kernel...would something like that make it *easier* to ports
drivers over from, say, Linux?  As long as the API's are reasonably
consistent, I would think this would be easier...no?

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org