Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 23:03:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IPFW, IPfilter, dummynet, et friends

Hi,

I'm contemplating something silly.

Once the techs at Bell Atlantic get the frame switch ready, I'll have a
56K frame connection to my home again.  I've been using the user ppp
package, which is *incredible* and gives me a nice boost over the windows
ppp monstrosity, I mean, *measurable*.  I use the packet aliasing feature
to hide all my toys from prying eyes, and it's been working great.

Since this is my home net, I really want to play around with some things,
including ipfilter and dummynet.  I also would like to keep my dialup
connection nailed up as well (good througput, bad latency) and I'm
wondering if any combination of ipfw and natd would let me steer traffic
such as ftp transfers to the modem while keeping my high priority traffic
(ssh, telnet) flowing through the frame connection.

Ideas?  The box I'm using has two ethernet cards and the modem is attached
to it as well.  The frame connection comes in via a small ascend router.

I'm also interested in ipfilter, but i understand it's difficult to
integrate with ppp...

Thanks,

Charles

---