Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2012 17:25:17 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Software Manager - try again later

On Sat, 2012-12-15 at 13:11 +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> Mixing PBI and ports/packages is possible, but discouraged.

I read about it, but don't understand the issue.

If I never ever would use PBI again but ports/packages only in the
future, it still would cause issues? The port directory isn't empty.

I installed PC-BSD 8.2, regarding to the issues to partition, when I
started with FreeBSD 9.0,
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2012-December/013680.html .

Manually downloading and installing is ok as a workaround, but in the
end everything should work without workarounds.
So PC-BSD isn't really FreeBSD ;)? I asked before I installed it ;) and
it was said, that it is FreeBSD ;).

However, since I've got my Linux for work, I don't depend on BSD. I can
spend some time to get BSD working :), OTOH I don't have much time to do
the same things again and again + I have to avoid that working on BSD
might damage my Linux installs or data.

Regards,
Ralf