Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 09:55:51 +0800 (CST)
From:      Bo Fussing <bmf@gateway.net.hk>
To:        IBS / Andre Oppermann <andre@pipeline.ch>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <aklemm@hightek.com>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how does PPP CHAP work ?

Hi,

If you are thinking of using CHAP because it is more secure - this is not
really warranted unless you are worried that people are monitoring your
phone lines. All terminal servers that support PAP will encrypt at least
the password when transmitting a request to a RADIUS server, version 2.x
of RADIUS does both user ID and password. If you are paranoid you can
filter out the port that RADIUS runs on so only your terminal and RADIUS
servers can talk to each other.

Another point of note, having worked on dial-in scripts for global roaming
through hundreds of different POPs of various ISPs, I think it was only
one provider that supported CHAP, the rest PAP. I think it is only the
corporate world that uses CHAP and then there are more secure methods than
that e.g. one time password generators....

Regards,
Bo Fussing