Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 22:46:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      Metod Kozelj <metod.kozelj@rzs-hm.si>
To:        Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>
Cc:        Metod Kozelj <metod.kozelj@rzs-hm.si>, Tom Browder <tom2@fwb.asi.srs.com>, AIC7XXX Mail List <aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Linux Alpha and Adaptec 2940

Hello,

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Doug Ledford wrote:

> > I've had problems with similar setup you have. The external SCSI-2 DAT
> > would just hang my box. After some testing I found out, that if I hook the
> > DAT to internal 50-pin connector, it works, otherwise it doesn't.

> The external connector on a 2940UW is a 68 pin wide connector.  In order to
> hook up a 50 pin external device, you *MUST* have a cable that does
> *something* intelligent with the upper 18 pins.  You case sounds specifically
> like your cable wasn't doing anything intelligent with them.

Let me state some details about my problem. The 'problematic' DAT is a HP
surestore <something> which likes to operate at 10MHz. I've had success
with some older Conner DAT operating at 5MHz using the same cable, which
has 68-pin micro SCSI on one end and 50-pin centronics-like on the other
end.

I've also tried to connect the 'problematic' dat to the internal wide SCSI
chain using a 68-to-50 pin adapter, which works just great with some
narrow HD in another setup. The results were the same (total failure that
is).

I was suspecting that the termination on the external SCSI chain could be
a problem, because I only have passive terminator. But I ruled it out by
trying with the internal wide SCSI which is terminated with active
terminator.

As stated before, the DAT worked just fine, if I connected it to the
internal 50-pin connector, even if it wasn't terminated at all.

I've tested the same DAT on another system (HP Netserver LC 5/100 with
on-board AIC7770 dual channel SCSI host adapter). The symptoms were a bit
different, the system did not hang, I only got multiple timeouts while
accessing HD (which was on the other channel).

Both systems are running Linux 2.0.36 with stock AIC7xxx driver.

I've sent a post to the list may be a month ago asking if there's a way to
set maximum speed to negotiate for individual SCSI device, but I haven't
got any reply. What I wanted to check is to operate the 'problematic' dat
at lower speed (eg. 5MHz) in stead of auto-negotiated one.

Regards,

Metod Kozelj

mailto:Metod.Kozelj@rzs-hm.si            /\  Ne posiljajte mi smeti ker grizem!
http://www.rzs-hm.si/                   /  \  Don't spam me for I bite!