Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 22:37:42 +0100 (MET)
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.frmug.fr.net>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (hackers)
Subject:   Re: Win32 (was:Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...)

John Fieber écrit / writes:

> I think a large factor in the dismal state of GUIs on unix is the simple
> fact that many unix users will put up with the most horrendous GUI without
> complaint.  I might go so far as to say they wouldn't know a good GUI if
> it came up and bit them.   Since a good UI is considerably harder to
> develop than a bad one, why invest in a good one if the users won't even
> notice?

	This is some kind of protection against Windrool-type users :-)

	Seriously, a nice-looking (let  alone   *unified*) GUI would   make
	users want to use Unix a  bit more (or  maybe feel less repelled by
	it).   The positive  side-effect  is that  it   would be easier  to
	convince developers to port apps to FreeBSD (and other Unices).

								-- Phil

--
- [ regnauld@tetard.frmug.fr.net / +48.8N+2.3E / +33 1 4507 9391 / Sol 3 ] -
- [ regnauld@freenix.fr		 / FreeBSD 2.x /  			 ] -