Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 07:44:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Preisler <john@vapornet.net>
To:        Anders Andersson <anders@sanyusan.se>
Cc:        Aaron Smith <aaron-fbsd@mutex.org>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: P2B-DS and its statclock/APM/whatever

What line did you add?

#  The flags takes the following meaning for apm0:
#    0x0020  Statclock is broken.
#    0x0011  Limit APM protocol to 1.1 or 1.0
#    0x0010  Limit APM protocol to 1.0
#  If apm is omitted, some systems require sysctl -w kern.timcounter.method=1
#  for correct timekeeping.

I find that

device          apm0    at nexus? flags 0x20

works like a champ for my board with bios v1008.  Compile in apm
support AND flag the statclock as broken.

and yes you need apm enabled in the bios as well.  simply having it in
your kernel and not turning it on in the bios is not enough.

dont forget to cd /dev ; sh MAKEDEV apm0 just in case

Anders Andersson writes:
 > * Aaron Smith (aaron-fbsd@mutex.org) [990619 21:42]:
 > >
 > > don't downgrade, just try this patch from Tor Egge. it worked great for my
 > > P2B-DS (bios rev 1008).
 > >
 > > Aaron
 >
 > I have a P2B-DS (bios rev. 1008) running 3.2-STABLE also.
 >
 > I have read the threads in this list but I have not tried Tor Egge's patch
 > yet. Although enabling apm in the kernel did not help to get top CPU
 > status and so on.
 >
 > Is Tor Egge's patch for -STABLE? and is this the only way to go with
 > these motherboards?
 >
 > Cheers
 >
 > Anders
 > --