Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:08:42 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   FTDI USB<->serial driver; can't do!

Just contacted FTDI for information on their USB<->serial chip, and --
unbelievably -- they wanted me to sign an NDA before I could receive
documentation on the part. The NDA would prohibit me from writing a
driver to be published as open source, and so I can't sign it.

Interestingly, there seems to be a Linux driver for their chip (which I'd
love to look at, but can't due to the potential for GPL contamination).
Why do you think they're being so difficult, especially when the cat is
already out of the bag?

--Brett Glass