Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2001 23:24:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Martin Schweizer <info@pc-service.ch>
Subject:   Re: IPFirewall again

Martin Schweizer <pcservice.schweizer@spectraweb.ch> wrote:
 > If I use the following rules and I can connect via ftp (for example
 > ftp.freebsd.org) but after the successful login I can't do "ls".

As a side note, if you only need a directory listing, you
can also type "rs ." (don't forget the dot).  If you use
an FTP client that doesn't know the rs command, you can
use "quote stat ." instead.  FreeBSD's client knows rs, so
you can use that.

The advantage of rs over ls is that it works through fire-
walls, no matter what, because the directory listing data
is transferred through the control connection (it doesn't
require a data connction like "ls").

Unfortunately, some FTP servers don't support it correctly.
Most servers whose authors have read and understood RFC959
usually get it right, though, which includes FreeBSD's ftpd
and wuftpd.  ;-)

Regards
   Oliver