Date:      Mon, 21 Nov 2016 20:16:16 +0200
From:      Volodymyr Kostyrko <arcade@b1t.name>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help! two machines ran out of swap and corrupted their zpools!

Pete French wrote:
> So, I am off sick and my colleagues decided to load test our set of five
> servers excesively. All ran out of swap. So far so irritating, but whats has
> happened is that twoof them now will not boot, as it appears the ZFS pool
> they are booting from has become corrupted.
>
> One starts to boot, then crases importing the root pool. The other doenst
> even get that far with gptzfsboot saying it can't find the pool to boot from!
>
> Now I can recover these, but I am a bit worried, that it got like this at
> all, as I havent ever seen ZFS corrupt a pool like this. Anyone got any insights,
> or suggstions as to how to stop it happening again ?
>
> We are swapping to a separate partition, not to the pool by theway.

Good.

Try downloading live disc or mfsBSD and importing pool r/o from there.

zpool import -N -O readonly=on -f -R /mnt/somezpoool

If that doesn't help try:

zpool import -N -O readonly=on -f -R /mnt/somezpoool -Fn

Drop us a line of your configuration and used ZFS features. Like dedup,
snapshots, external l2 logs and caches.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.