Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 20:45:58 -0800
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with Gnome apps crashing on -stable

On 2001.11.11 20:12 Joe Clarke wrote:
> I'm seeing something strange with certain Gnome apps on -stable.  At
> first
> it was just happening with nautilus, so I ignored it.  Now, the same
> thing
> happens with balsa.  I've been trying to track down the problem, but I
> need some help.  When I open my home directory in nautilus (which has
> lot of files), I noticed this on my console:
>
> sigreturn: eflags 0x10296
>
> Then a core dump on signal 6.  The eflags value is different each
> time.
> This message comes from machdep.c in the kernel.  It seems to indicate
> that the user process is trying to set eflags and (eflags & PSL_VM) is
> not
> true.  My first question is, what exactly is eflags?  Is this caused
> by
> someone not saving context correctly?
>
> Now, when this happens, the SIGABRT is caused by uthread_kern.c which
> is
> evident in my .gnomerc-errors file:
>
> Fatal error 'Thread has returned from sigreturn or longjmp' at line ?
> in
> file /usr/src/lib/libc_r/uthread/uthread_kern.c (errno = ?)
> Abort trap - core dumped
>
> The relevant code from uthread_kern.c seems to be:
>
>                 /*
>                  * Ensure the process signal mask is set
>                  * correctly:
>                  */
>                 _thread_run->ctx.uc.uc_sigmask =
>                     _process_sigmask;
>                 sigreturn(&_thread_run->ctx.uc);
> #endif
>                 break;
>             }
>             /* This point should not be reached. */
>             PANIC("Thread has returned from sigreturn or longjmp");
>
> Line 607 was changed three weeks ago from:
>
> _thread_sys_sigreturn(&_thread_run->ctx.uc);
>
> to what you see above.  I'm not sure this has any bearing on the
> problem,
> though.  Balsa 1.2.3 has started doing the same thing at times.  I
> have
> -stable cvsup'd and compiled from yesterday (11/10/2001), and all the
> latest components having anything to do with gnome.
>
> Like I said, I'd love to track this down, but I need some guidance as
> I'm
> not that familiar with kernel threading.  Thanks.
>
> Joe

I've seen this too.  I would add that I've even seen it happen
spontaneously (while xscreensaver has the root window) with the result
that the whole X window session comes crashing down.  I'm also
consistently seeing warning being issued concurrent with the eflags
discussed above relating to calls to free() for blocks that are already
freed.

A wild guess is that something isn't quite right in ORBit/oaf?

--
jmc                               ||   MacroHard --                    \