Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 10:14:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Duane R. Ellison" <duane@gargamel.ptw.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: routing question

On Sun, 20 Aug 1995, Duane R. Ellison wrote:

> [2.0.5-RELEASE using ppp]
>
> I seem to have a little "understanding" problem and I hope someone can
> enlighten me out there.
>
> First off I am using a fictious network 10.0 which works great on my
> end.  And when I connect to my ISP I am able to run everything locally on
> my BSD box (10.3).  But when I have a ppp link attached to my machine
> (10.50) I am unable to get to anything past my main machine.  If I had
> other machines in the 10.0 network connect I could check that but I don't
> right now so I am not sure if I am missing something big or just a small
> thing.
>
> Anyway I would like to be able to have 10.50 be able to talk to
> 204.178.60.5 which is my ISP.  I have my own name sever running and that
> seems to be working good.  I added the enable proxy accept proxy to the
> default of the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file.  I also disable proxy and deny
> proxy on the configuration for my ISP.
>
> I even faked out my ISP into giving me 10.3 for my IP address (surprised
> he hasn't disabled that) but that still didn't make the 10.50 route out.
> Any ideas would be appreciate!!!

I have the same problem, Richard Wackerbath helped me through to this
point, and I see the problem.  Your 10.x.x.x addresses fall in the range
of addresses guaranteed not to exist on internet, so none of the machines
on the internet can communicate back to you, your address can't exist.
I've gone back to my provider (Univ. of Md) for some real numbers to use,
maybe you're gonna have to do the same.  BTW, make sure your ppp machine
is set up in the kernel to be a gateway (via sysctl or a GATEWAY option
inthe kernel config file), else your packets from the other machine'll
never make it out anyways.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0.5-snap-0726) and
(301) 220-2114              | n3lxx (FreeBSD 2.0.5-snap-0622) -- Great!