Date:      Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:09:35 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Pyun YongHyeon <yongari@rndsoft.co.kr>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: em(4) patch

Pyun YongHyeon wrote this message on Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 11:39 +0900:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 12:27:49PM -0700, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>
>  > > . always honor IFF_OACTIVE flag
>  >
>  > I made this mistake before myself.. Make sure you read the comment
>  > describing OACTIVE..  you only set OACTIVE when the TX queue is full,
>  > and clear it when it is not full.. not always set it when the board
>  > is transmitting:
>  > define    IFF_OACTIVE     0x400           /* tx hardware queue is full */
>  >

> Do you mean IFF_OACTIVE should be set regardless of TX queue state
> when h/w is transmitting frames? Would you elaborate on an IFF_OACTIVE?

IFF_OACTIVE should be set when the hardward cannot queue anymore packets,
and should be cleared when the hardware can accept additional packets..
It basicly controls calling an interface's if_start routine..  If
IFF_OACTIVE is set, then it is assumed no additional packets can be
processed, and if_start will not be called when a packet is queued for
the interface...

If you look at net/if_var.h for the define IFQ_HANDOFF_ADJ, you'll
see where it is tested...

>  > > . TX/RX descriptor alignment is 16 not PAGE_SIZE
>  > > . TX/RX descriptor length should be multiple of 128 not 4096.
>  >
>  > You should probably use a define for this...
>  >

> Yes. But AFAIK if_em_hw.h has no defined constants for these purposes.

Then add them.. :)

> There are another hardcoded constants for processing 64bit IO BAR. I
> belive these constants should go pcireg.h.

Hmmm. which ones are these?

>  > > I have tested 82545GM chipset based card on Ultra60(SMP). VLAN and
>  > > POLLING were not tested at all so it may have bugs. JUMBO frame support
>  > > needs more coding and cleanups since sparc64 does not allow non-aligned
>  > > memory access. So don't try to use JUMBO frame at this time.
>  > > If you want to test em(4) on SMP with ofw_console you need additional
>  > > patch. Alternatively you can use sc(4) or serial console.
>  > > I'd like to hear success/failure.
>  >
>  > I think you should put back the while(!IFQ_DRV_IS_EMPTY, loop..  It
>  > prevents an unnessary lock/unlock if both queues are empty...
>  >

> Yes, you're right.
>
>  > Also, I have work in progress to make non-aligned packets better...
>  > I committed part of it as the m_copyup change...  On a -current, you
>  > should just be able to apply the following change:
>  > http://perforce.freebsd.org/fileDiffView.cgi?FSPC=//depot/user/jmg/arm/src/sys/netinet/ip%5finput.c&REV=3&ACT=edit
>  >

> This looks promising. Some miserable hardwares that use sf(4)/rl(4)
> driver could take advatnage of it. BTW what is IP_HDR_ALIGNED_P macro?

Look at:
http://perforce.freebsd.org/fileDiffView.cgi?FSPC=//depot/user/jmg/arm/src/sys/netinet/ip%5fvar.h&REV=2&ACT=edit

and __NO_STRICT_ALIGNMENT should be defined somewhere for i386 and
amd64..  I sent an email to bde asking about where to define this, but
he didn't respond...

>  > I'll try the patch when I get home...
>
> Thanks.

np...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579