Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 14:15:28 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Subject:   Re: SIGINFO handler for fsck(8)

* Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie> [001204 13:19] wrote:

> I've had this patch lying around here for a while - it adds a simple
> SIGINFO handler to fsck(8) so you can tell what it's doing by
> pressing Ctrl-T. The output will be something like:
>
> ^T
> load: 0.14  cmd: fsck_ufs 10473 [physstr] 2.12u 0.30s 8% 2016k
> /dev/da0s1f: phase 1: cyl group 26 of 60 (43%)
> ^T
> load: 0.12  cmd: fsck_ufs 10473 [physstr] 4.00u 0.49s 11% 2804k
> /dev/da0s1f: phase 2: dir 488 of 27965 (1%)
>
> Is this a feature we want in fsck? It doesn't really help except
> to give you something to do while waiting for a huge filesystem to
> be checked :-) I guess it also allows you to see if fsck is actually
> getting anywhere.

I really like this, it would be nice to have an option for fsck to
display the progress without the signals though, the only difficulty
would be when it's doing parrallel fscks of several filesystems,
but you could have the children talk to the parent who would then
format the data for output.

-Alfred