Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 1997 13:06:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!etinc.com!dennis, ponds!lambert.org!terry
Cc:        ponds!freebsd.org!hackers, ponds!atrad.adelaide.edu.au!msmith
Subject:   Re: 2.2.1R NFS and FTP load problem FOUND

> >Possibly because it is a bug in FreeBSD, but since you are in
> >the vast minority, probably because the usage patterns are different
> >between revisions and you are just "lucky".  8-(.
>
> Thats just it. I cant see how "usage patterns" can be an issue, as I'm
> using the
> same boot diskette (ie kernel) as everyone else. If its not the RAM amount,
> I'd love to know just what it is because I know its going to be a problem
> in the
> future. Anyone have any ideas on how to get some decent diagnostics?
>
> I think I might try doing a reload off of a custom kernel....is there an
> easy way to
> install a different kernel on the boot floppy, or to build the boot floppy
> with a
> non generic kernel?

 Well, strange you should ask...

 Here's a shell script I hacked up for 2.1.6, which I have been told works
for 2.1.7.  With some slight modifications (check it against the makefiles
in /usr/src/release) it could possibly work for 2.2.x.  The script assumes
you have /stand on your local machine from the 2.2.1 install (it picks
that up instead of rebuilding it.)

> Dennis

 Also, just to offer words of encouragement - I _know_ how frustrating
this can be (just look at some of my other mail for examples :-) )  However,
when all is said-and-done, this is a deterministic environment.  There
answer _is_ there...

	- Dave Rivers -

#! /bin/sh

rd=/usr/tmp/release
rm -r -f $rd
mkdir $rd
cd /usr/src/release
rm release.1
make RELEASEDIR=$rd release.1
mkdir $rd/mfsfd
mkdir $rd/mfsfd/stand
(cd /stand; tar cf - . ) | (cd $rd/mfsfd/stand; tar xf -)
mkdir $rd/mfsfd/dev

( cd /dev && \
   ls console tty ttyv0 ttyv1 ttyv2 ttyv3 null zero \
   *[sw]d* cuaa[01] cuaa[23] fd[01] rfd[01] \
   cd0a mcd0a scd0a matcd0a wcd0c rst0 rft0 rwt0 | \
 cpio -dump ${RD}/mfsfd/dev )
( cd $rd/mfsfd/dev && rm -f *[sw]d*[bdefgh] )

mkdir $rd/floppies
mnt=/mnt
bootmfssize=1450
mfsinode=42000
mkdir $rd/trees
mkdir $rd/trees/bin
mkdir $rd/trees/bin/usr
mkdir $rd/trees/bin/usr/mdec
(cd /usr/mdec; tar cf - rawboot boot1 boot2 fdboot bootfd) | (cd $rd/trees/bin/usr/mdec; tar xf -)
(cd /usr/mdec; tar cf - rawboot) | (cd $rd/stage/trees/bin/usr/mdec; tar xf -)
sh -e /usr/src/release/doFS.sh $rd $mnt $bootmfssize $rd/mfsfd $mfsinode auto
mv fs-image fs-image.std
mv fs-image.size fs-image.std.size
make RELEASEDIR=$rd doMFSKERN FSIMAGE=std
mv $rd/stage/floppies/bootstd.flp $rd/floppies/boot.flp