Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:00:39 +0200
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1.5TB external HDD problems

On Monday 25 June 2012 00:22:54 maxim naumov wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
wrote:
> > Ok, then it is not a USB host problem.
>
> I am not sure I follow. to me that just proves that the HDD doesn't
> have an irrecoverable error on a particular sector. by irrecoverable I
> mean an error that would stop the HDD working altogether until power
> cycle rather than report a sector read/write error.
>
> the question what screws up the HDD remains. the HDD can get screwed
> up by itself due to a bug in firmware, but why doesn't it happen with
> windoze or GNU/Linux? pure luck?

Hi,

You should compare things like CPU usage and number of interrupts during data
transfer, before we could say anything for sure.

BTW: Maximum block size for USB 2.0 under FreeBSD is 64Kbytes.

BTW: You could try to make a simple c-test program that reads and writes
random LBA's from user-space, and see when it stops working.

--HPS