Date:      Sat, 1 Oct 2022 19:26:19 -0700
From:      Craig Leres <leres@freebsd.org>
To:        Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Block sizes for dd(1) to USB memory sticks (flash drives) for installers for FreeBSD

On 10/1/22 16:45, Graham Perrin wrote:
> Evidently, the difference in speed was my imagination.
>
> I found less than one second difference between these two commands:
>
> time recoverdisk -v FreeBSD-13.1-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso /dev/da3
>
> time gdd if=FreeBSD-13.1-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso of=/dev/da3
> status=progress conv=sync bs=10M
>
> recoverdisk(1) is a great hint. Thanks.

Years ago I had a failing HD that I wanted to image (maybe a TiVo disk?)
dd wasn't cutting it so I looked around and found a tool someone wrote
that would do large reads but reduce the buffer size when it encountered
errors. Years later I discovered recoverdisk which is a nice
implementation of this clever strategy.

My only issue is that I find it super difficult to remember what it's
called!

		Craig