Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 23:51:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        bford@uop.cs.uop.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: ffs_blkfree: bad size

According to Jordan K. Hubbard:
> > Although I normally appreciate your humor, this bug is not
> > funny.  Version 1.74 of vfs_cluster.c does not fix the problem,
> > and a person can totally destroy their filesystems.
>
> It wasn't an attempt at humor - I thought he still had an older kernel
> too and thought that David's attempted fix (I say "attempted" since it
> is clearly still nuking you) would set him right.
>
> > sysctl -w vfs.ffs.doreallocblks=0
> >
> > Is the correct response.
>
> Why isn't this currently the default if it's as pathological as you
> say?  Has anyone actually asked David this question?  It would be
> only courteous given that he's the author of this bug/feature.

I've had several email exchanges with David, and I have been in touch
with Kirk.  I have provided the stack trace, but I can't get a dump
(see a recent email from me entitled "Crash dump howto?").  If I can get
a dump, I will give Kirk complete access to my boxes.

If you use softupdates, this problem will probably not occur.  If you use
sync or async filesystems, you may be hosed to the point that fsck
has problems.

It is pathological in the sense that fsck reports tons of DUP inodes
and INCORRECT COUNTS and assorted other messages I don't remember.
/var/lost+found becomes well populated.

I think it is a subtle bug that rears its ugly head if you put a
system under heavy.  My machine will crash within an hour by executing
"make -j 32 world" and "make -j 8 ; make clean" in a loop in compile/GENERIC.
--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~clesceri/kargl.html