Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 18:40:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <tim@ppp7267.on.bellglobal.com>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Shawn Ramsey wrote:

> I would tend to agree with the statement about BSDI, whether doscmd came
> from them or anywhere else...Its a great OS, but not so great company
> behind it.

There's no need to adopt an adverserial position, however.
Certainly no one should need to go far out of their way to help
BSDi, (or NetBSD, or OpenBSD, or Linux), but a little
consideration for other OSs is a good thing.  I think sometimes
it's easy to slip into adverserial mode and Chuck (and I) is
just trying to ward off that danger in advance.  :)

As far as the specific issue, there's no need to go and test all
our ports on BSD/OS!  :)  OTOH, if one reads the porting
guidelines, one should notice the expectation to use "#ifdef BSD"
in place of "#ifdef __FreeBSD__".

Of course, as the porting project assumes a life of its own apart
from FreeBSD specifically, it will start to desire increasing
cross-platform capability, just as any project would (eg. XFree
compiles on more than just FreeBSD :).  Such a desire will come
on its own time, however.  It should not be forced.  :)

--
 tIM...HOEk
OPTIMIZATION: the process of using many one-letter variables names