Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 20:42:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: time for some new man pages

The default devices are

  tar      /dev/rst0
  dump     /dev/rst0
  restore  /dev/rst0

I use
      tar     ... -f /dev/rst0 ...
      dump    ... -f /dev/rst0 ...
      restore ... -f /dev/rst0 ...

I ALWAYS specify the device just to keep myself sane.  I would prefer
the default to be throw-up verbosely!  That way, I would make fewer
mistakes!

So, the default devices for tar, dump, and, restore are to change to
the CAM device names.  OK.

Will 'MAKEDEV all' continue to create the (r)sd and (r)st device
files?  I don't care what new device names there are, as long as the
(r)sd and (r)st device files continue to exist and have the proper
major and minor numbers.

I have scripts that are used on multiple systems, not just FreeBSD.

Do I need to detect the system name in the scripts to keep them
portable?

tomdean