Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 96 20:31:29 PST8PDT
From:      tedm@os2box
To:        questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Problem with Bustek 742A SCSI card

Hi,

  I just attempted installation of FreeBSD 2.1 on the following hardware:

CompuAdd 486/44 EISA w/ 16MB ram.
Bustek 742a rev E SCSI adapter
Western Digital "Paradise" VGA card
3COM 3C503 ethernet card

  The bt device driver does not recognize the Bustek card, however the Adaptec
driver recognizes the SCSI card as an aha card.  (The 742 EISA card has an
Adaptec 1540 "compatibility" mode which I believe is what the driver is seeing)
The SCSI adapter card is set to port 330, IRQ12, DMA 5.  The aha driver
doesen't obtain the correct disk geometry from the SCSI adapter card.

  If I boot a FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 installation disk (the Bustek/UltraStor kernel)
it recognizes the Bustek/Buslogic card properly and obtains the correct disk
geometry, etc.

  The version of FreeBSD I'm using is right off the 2.1 CD that Walnut Creek is
shipping.

  I called Bustek and I'm having some updated firmware sent out, perhaps this
will correct the problem.  Unfortunately, I don't have any current 2.1 source
unpacked anywhere, nor a machine to compile it on, so I am unable to generate a
corrected 2.1 kernel, even if I knew what the problem was.  I am not adverse to
FTP'ing the entire package from Walnut creek, assuming one of the newer
releases would correct the problem, as I mainly spent the money on the CD to
financially support the FreeeBSD development effort.  (although as the machine
has a CD and I was planning on using it it sure would be nice to do the install
from that.)

  I went into the device config and attempted to play around with the
parameters for the bt driver, but this didn't make any difference.  I get the
sense that the bt driver is being rewritten mainly for the PCI version of
BusLogic's cards.

 If you already know about this bug and have a fix for me please send it, or
perhaps if one of the newer kernels would work with the CD to install it,
please let me know.  Otherwise, if I can't get 2.1.xx up on this machine I'll
just go back to 1.1.5.1

Thanks,
tedm%toybox@agora.rdrop.com