Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 00:22:25 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org

>Well, my Quantum Empire 1400S finally decided to stop spinning up...I've
>noticed that it seems to take several hits of the reset button before it would
>spin up and after turning it off yesterday, it just won't spin up. Now, when I
>turn it on, I hear three little rumbles while it tries to spin. Any idea if
>there is a reasonable remedy? Should I just smack it around a bit? Other
>suggestions? (no, I don't have that much experience trouble shooting hardware
>problems...:-)). Maybe I should give Quantum a call first...

The Quantum folks were pretty accomodating when I had a drive go bad.
I thought it had a two year warranty (at least the place I bought it
from *claimed* it did).  When, in fact, it was sold as an OEM drive
that only came with a year warranty.  It was several months over a
year, but they replaced it for free, anyway.

On the other hand, it was clearly stamped as a refurbished unit, and
definitely being a different drive, I didn't get my data back.  (In my
case, there was really nothing to get back except scrambled bits,
anyway; but your case may be different.)  But that replacement unit is
still running today, almost a year later.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net