Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 23:55:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      The Devil Himself <fullermd@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: su to root

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Doug Jolley wrote:

> Thanks to all (and there were many) who responded to my plea
> for help in this topic.  I am now able to su to root just fine.
>
> However, I'd like to through a couple of observations out for
> comment.
>
> First, in running tests here it appears that it's the group
> number and not the name that's important.  I tested having
> myself in group 0 but with that group re-named "spoke" rather
> than "wheel" and I was able to su to root just fine.
Well, yeah.  The OS internally doesn't know anything about your username
or groupname; it's all done with numerical UID and GID.  You could call
the group about anything you want; it just is set to wheel for the reason
that it always ahs been in BSD.

> Secondly, and this was a surprise, it appears that in orde to be
> able to su to root one must be associated with group 0 in the
> /etc/group file.  By that I mean that having the user assigned
> to group 0 in the /etc/passwd file does not seem to work.  That
> appears to me to be in direct contradiction to what the man page
> on group says.  So, to wrap up this topic, am I missing something
> on that point?  Thanks again for any input.
Hmm...  I see what you mean about the man page.  About the only thing I
can think of is that wheel isn't meant to be a login group.  Every user
should have a login group; such as user, or usr, or student, or whatever.
THAT'S the GID entered in /etc/passwd.  Even root (on every system I've
seen) is a member of some login group.  The login group cannot be wheel,
to my knowledge.  When the system looks up permission to su, it looks in
/etc/groups.  So, try creating a group user or something, stick yourself
in that in /etc/passwd, and also stick yourself in /etc/group uinder
wheel.  The man page would seem to say the other, but it makes more sense
to me to be done this way.  Anyone else have any input?

>     ... doug
> Doug Jolley    mailto://doug@cybernautics.net    http://www.cybernautics.net
>          Don't bogart that file, my friend.  Net it over to me.

|FreeBSD is good.      FreeBSD is our friend.     UNIX is our god.|
*Micro$oft is bad.                      Micro$oft causes problems.*
|"I hate quotes in signature files"            :-}  MAtthew Fuller|
*fullermd@narcissus.ml.org                          FreeBSD junkie*
|http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd     Westminster College|