Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 08:38:12 -0600 (CST)
From:      Naiden Markachev <nmm367@duke.usask.ca>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Old style C function declaration Q

Hi Everyone,

I was reading some FreeBSD source code and I found some difficulties with
the function declaration style. Could someone explain me what

char **(*fn) __P((kvm_t *, const struct kinfo_proc *, int));

line in this function declaration exactly means:

static char *
fmt(fn, ki, comm, maxlen)
        char **(*fn) __P((kvm_t *, const struct kinfo_proc *, int));
        KINFO *ki;
        char *comm;
        int maxlen;
{
[.. part of the ps command source ..]

I am able to grasp the general idea but that doesn't satisfy me ;>

Thanks for your time,

        Naiden