Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 15:55:05 -0600
From:      Allan Alford <aa@jump.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wangtek 51000HT 1/4"  SCSI-2 QIC 1000

Howdy!

This is my first post to either of these lists, so I hope this is the
right place for this kind of thing.

I recently purchased one of the above-mentioned drives and put it into
an external SCSI cabinet.  I also bought a 1.2 Gig QIC-1000 tape (the
largest the manufacturer recommends).

Now I'm having problems putting this thing to good use.

Since it's a 1/4" tape, the concatenate and append flags on tar don't
seem to work.  Trying to tar multiple directories fails as a result.

Referencing the device as /dev/nrst0 does not seem to help either.

Dumping a 496meg file system reports that I need 10.2 tapes!
Tarring the same file system works just fine however.

Can anyone offer any help?  Is it normal that I would need to mess with
the density and feet settings on dump?  Is it normal that tar would use
the tape correctly while dump wouldn't?  Most importantly: How do I get
the tape to accept multiple dumps and/or tars?  I can't seem to set it
to no rewind.

Also, how do I access the details of this "Rogue's Gallery" that I keep
seeing reference to in the man pages?

Thanks for any and all help,
Allan Alford