Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 11:42:30 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        Bruce.Albrecht@seag.fingerhut.com (Bruce Albrecht)
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tyan ATX 1668

> I've got one of these on order, and I understand that there's a
> problem with the 5th PCI slot, which is not currently a problem for me
> since I'm currently planning to use 3 slots.  However, I was wondering
> if this problem is a hardware problem or a BIOS problem, and whether
> it matters which BIOS (AMI/Award) one is using.  If it's BIOS, what's
> the change that Tyan will have the BIOS manufacturers fix it if we all
> complain?

The 5th slot shares the same interrupt map as the fourth slot, so you
must be able to share PCI interrupts for it to function.  This should
not be a problem, but you should be aware of it if you intend to use
dual interrupt cards, like the Adaptec 3940 dual channel SCSI controller,
since you will have to leave the slot "downwind" of the controller blank
(ie: you can put the controller in slot 1 and leave slot 2 empty, you
can put it in slot 2 and leave slot 3 empty, you can put it in slot 3
and leave *both* slot 4 & 5 empty, or you can put it in slot 4 or 5 and
leave slot 5 or 4 AND slot 1 empty).

The BIOS problem is that the mptable does not refect the correct number
of PCI busses on the motherboard (it says there is one and there are 2),
and so the second bus's APIC is incorrectly configured to an ISA
interrupt (you can get more information on this by searching the SMP
list archives on www.freebsd.org).

There is a workaround in the SMP code to treat it as a "known rogue"
(you should check out the "known rogues" www page on www.freeebsd.org
in the SMP pages).

> Also, this will be my first FreeBSD system (currently running
> NetBSD-Amiga), and I was wondering if I should start out running
> FreeBSD 2.2.1, and start looking at FreeBSD-SMP after I've gotten my
> basic setup done, or take the plunge and go start to FreeBSD-3.0+SMP
> kernel?  Would I run 3.0 software + SMP kernel, or is there a complete
> SMP tree?

3.0 is not integrates into the SMP tree at this point -- the SMP tree
is from a code cut prior to the Lite2 integration.  The easiest approach
is to go to the SMP pages on www.freebsd.org, and get your CVS tree
up to date for the date immediately prior to the Lite2 merge, and
then bring down the SMP code (it is a replacement /usr/src/sys tree
for the date shown on the WWW pages).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org