Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 16:01:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      -Vince- <vince@apollo.COSC.GOV>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: schg flag on make world in -CURRENT

On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > Why don't you just use "rlogin" and "su"?
> >
> > 	Does rlogin and su make any difference?  I'm using ppp from Win95
> > and I don't have a rlogin program, only telnet...
>
> 1)	Your user name must be in group "wheel" (in the file /etc/group).

	Correct for su to work.

> 2)	Your pty must be marked "secure".  Currently, it is marked as
> 	"network", mostly because networks aren't secure.  Since you
> 	can't pick your pty, you pretty much have to lett all of them
> 	in.  Be sure to put "Welcome, system crackers!" in your login
> 	prompt in gettytab.  8-).

	So that's it, the pty must be secure but I can't really control
that since I thought you can't telnet or rlogin into a secured pty.  Not a
bad idea for the login prompt =)

> The rlogin is vouchsafe, but needs a pty as well.  Besides, any user on
> a DOS box is "root".  If you allowed "rlogin", then any user on any DOS
> box you allowed could become any user on your machine by lying about
> who they are.  The point in a UNIX<->UNIX peer environment is that you
> are at least as secure as your root password on both machines combined.
>
> Since telnet needs a pty as well, you have to have "secure" in the
> /etc/ttys line either way.  So "rlogin" isn't an issue.

	Thanks for clarifying this.  But if the pty is secure, how am I
able to telnet or rlogin to that pty?

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@COSC.GOV - GUS Mailing Lists Admin - http://www.COSC.GOV/~vince
UC Berkeley AstroPhysics - Electrical Engineering (Honorary B.S.)
Chabot Observatory & Science Center - Board of Advisors
Running FreeBSD - Real UN*X for Free!
Linda Wong/Vivian Chow/Hacken Lee/Danny Chan/Priscilla Chan Fan Club
Mailing Lists Admin