Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 10:30:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, calin@ibd.dbio.ro, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Powering off the system/UPS

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > I followed all your mail about how to patch the kernel. I seems that the
> > > solution that would satisfy (more or less) everybody would be an extra
> > > list for at_shutdown where both apm and ups drivers can insert callbacks.
> > > (the way I patched my system's kernel - haha).
> >
> > Maybe I missed it in the thread, but why it is a Good Thing to
> > put UPS support in the kernel as opposed to a purely user mode
> > daemon that monitors the UPS and does the Right Thing, like
> > shutdown(8), when things get to a critical state?
>
> Because the kernel knows about uncommitted write buffers, but the
> user space daemon does not, and the user space daemon might be
> fighting for a quantum with 1000 other processes, so it can't
> react before its too late to save your data.

  Not even an issue.  You want to start the shutdown well in advance
anyhow, because battery life is a bit variable.

  The biggest problem is that a usermode program loses control as soon as
it halts the system.  What happens if power is resumed?  The system is
limbo with "Press any key to reboot" on the screen.  A smarter UPS can
help, but adding intelligence to the OS is easier.

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.