Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 22:02:06 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Mesa3 port upgrade

On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 05:52:11PM -0800, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
>  * -ports,
>
>  ;)

What?? :-)

> What happens if they call "-lGL -lMesaGL" or something?  Will that be
> ok because all the symbols will be found in the first -l and the
> second one will not be used at all?

gltron seems to be OK with this. I even tried it in the reverse order.

<1 5041-0> (00-02-27 21:52:56) [root@shadow /usr/ports/games/gltron]#
make
===>  Building for gltron-0.53
cc -O -pipe -o gltron sgi_texture.o switchCallbacks.o gui.o pause.o
computer.o engine.o gltron.o graphics.o gamegraphics.o input.o
settings.o texture.o fonttex.o fonts.o menu.o file.o model.o
modelgraphics.o mtllib.o geom.o -lGL -lGLU -lglut -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11
-lXext -lXmu -lXt -lXi -lSM -lICE -lm -lMesaGL
<1 5042-0> (00-02-27 21:52:58) [root@shadow /usr/ports/games/gltron]#

<1 5049-1> (00-02-27 21:56:26) [root@shadow
/usr/ports/games/gltron/work/gltron-0.53]# gmake
cc -O2 -o gltron sgi_texture.o switchCallbacks.o gui.o pause.o
computer.o engine.o gltron.o graphics.o gamegraphics.o input.o
settings.o texture.o fonttex.o fonts.o menu.o file.o model.o
modelgraphics.o mtllib.o geom.o -lMesaGL -lMesaGLU -lGL -lGLU -lglut
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXext -lXmu -lXt -lXi -lSM -lICE -lm -lMesaGL
<1 5050-0> (00-02-27 21:56:28) [root@shadow
/usr/ports/games/gltron/work/gltron-0.53]#

Both of the above work fine. So I imagine order isn't important, nor
whether or not somebody puts multiple instances of either library.

I also played the game for a moment. If you wish, I can rebuild qt145,
which should be a good enough test, but I think that if gltron is OK
with it, other things should be fine too.

>  * Now, I know a few people are going to point out that this upgrade is a
>  * little risky being so close to the ports freeze, but it's been a long
>  * time since Mesa has been upgraded, and I feel that 4.0-RELEASE should go
>  * out with a brand-new Mesa port.
>
> More like 4.0R shouldn't go out with a ridiculously old Mesa port? :)

Yeah. :-)

> Anyway, if you actually tested some apps (not just linking I hope, but
> real testing as in firing up the programs and seeing if they work) and
> they seem ok, I don't see why we can't upgrade Mesa right now.  At
> least that will leave us a few days to track down any problems that
> might surface.

*nod* I'm still in the final stages of testing the upgrade, but I should
be done within the hour.. I dunno why it seems to desire installing *.la
library files even though USE_LIBTOOL is defined. I'll probably leave
that to libtool experts (which I am definitely NOT).

P.S. please don't comment on how long my prompt is. ;)

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>