Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:17:22 -0800
From:      Andrew Konstantinov <andrei@kableu.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Volker Kindermann <ml@ps102.de>
Subject:   Re: problems with CRAM-MD5 authentication in evolution

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 11:08:22AM +0100, Volker Kindermann wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>=20
>=20
> >This might sound a bit silly, but I can't figure out how to force=20
> >evolution to
> >use CRAM-MD5 authentication instead of plain text password. Whenever I=
=20
> >choose
> >CRAM-MD5 as authentication method in the evolution settings and click=20
> >"OK", the
> >changes apparently are lost because even if I go back to that menu a sec=
ond
> >later, it has plain password authentication instead of CRAM-MD5. This is
> >something specifically related to the port of evolution to freebsd as=20
> >evolution
> >on linux, mutt on freebsd and thunderbird on windows all work perfectly=
=20
> >fine
> >with CRAM-MD5 authentication.
>=20
> no answer to your question, but I'm using CRAM-MD5 for sending mails to=
=20
> a sasl enabled MTA-Server and it works fine.
>=20
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD ariel.office.volker.de 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Fri Jan=
=20
>  7 15:49:00 CET 2005=20
> root@ariel.office.volker.de:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ARIEL  i386
>=20
> $ pkg_info|grep evolution
> evolution-2.0.3     An integrated mail, calendar and address book=20
> distributed s
>=20
> Are you trying to use it for sending email or for receiving email? Ah,=20
> one more thing: I disabled plain-text authentication on the MTA-Server.

I'm trying to use CRAM-MD5 with imaps for receiving the mail from my
courier-imap server. The evolution's version is the latest one from the por=
ts
running on FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p4.

The mail server:

mail# uname -rs
FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p2
mail# pkg_info | grep courier
courier-authlib-0.52 Authentication library used by courier ports
courier-imap-4.0.1,1 IMAP (and POP3) server that provides access to Maildir=
 mail
mail# grep authmodulelist /usr/local/etc/authlib/authdaemonrc | grep -v '^#'
authmodulelist=3D"authuserdb"
mail#

As far as I understand, it's not possible to remove support for plain passw=
ord
authentication without also removing CRAM-MD5 support, because CRAM-MD5 sup=
port
is included in the authuserdb module. I haven't looked too deep into that, =
so
I'm not sure if that's 100% correct. But, that's not even the root of the
problem because all the other mail user agents on different platforms work =
just
fine with my server.

Volker, if it's not too problematic for you, could you mail me some exerpts
from your ~/.gconf/apps/evolution/mail/%gconf.xml file containing the
specification of the authentication method? If that file indeed contains the
authentication settings for evolution, I could specify them manually and th=
at
should solve my problem.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew