Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 1996 12:36:42 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Douglas Ambrisko <ambrisko@tcs.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, archie@tribe.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: COMCONSOLE speed

On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Douglas Ambrisko wrote:

> Bruce Evans writes:
> |
> | >Finally, is it the case that FreeBSD 2.1R *requires* a vga card
> | >to be installed in order to even boot? My netboot kernel page faults
> | >after the device probes when I take out the video card.
> |
> | It should work.  Try disabling the console driver(s).  scprobe() always
> | succeeds.  It's not clear what the driver will do when there is no vga
> | card.
>
> Disable sc0 via boot -c or rebuild a kernel without syscons or pcvt and
> this should fix your problem.  Make sure you also disable getty on the
> virtual consoles.  This works for me.

There may be another catch - the motherboard (actually BIOS) requires
a card to be there and wont even think of booting if the card isn't there
- I can't however comment on percentage of such motherboards. There are
at least some behave so.

> It would be nice if scprobe could avoid the panic by detecting if a monitor
> card was there.
>
> Doug A.

	Sander

Eat good food, preserve nature, be nice to all nice people :)