Date:      Tue, 16 Aug 2005 05:12:31 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        frank@exit.com, Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Special schedulers, one CPU only kernel, one only userland

reading this thread, and at times looking at some of the kernel code,
with plenty of places where you have to drop a lock that you
already have, do some small thing and then reacquire the lock itself,
makes me wonder if we don't need a better mechanism/abtraction for
this kind of programming.

In a way, this seems similar to the handling of interrupts:
if we want a thread to be interrupted we don't check for interrupts
(and save and restore state) explicitly at every instruction, but
rely on the processor doing the right thing for us.

I am sorry i cannot formulate the analogy in a clearer way
(if i could i would probably have a design to address this problem :( )

	cheers
	luigi