Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2012 23:10:12 GMT
From:      Mike Kaganski <mikekaganski@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-xen@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/165418: [xen] Problems mounting root filesystem from XENHVM

The following reply was made to PR kern/165418; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mike Kaganski <mikekaganski@mail.ru>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, stefan.witzel@zvw.uni-goettingen.de
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:00:04 +1100

  > The Xen bootloader has problems with UFS2.
  > I'm only running PV guests, but pygrub doesn't recognise
  >UFS2 (and had to be patched for UFS). HVMs may have a similar issue

 Just to clarify things:

 1. To boot a VM, *XEN* needs to start its kernel. In case of HVM, its
 job is simple: it considers the (virtual) boot disk as an opaque
 bytestream with a boot record in proper place, and it's the boot
 record's job to find and launch the kernel. In PV VMs, XEN needs to
 launch the kernel as its "native" program, so it needs to find the
 kernel file(s). Thus, either the kernel needs to be on a filesystem
 recognizable by XEN, or the kernel file(s) must be copied directly to dom0.
 2. To work with a filesystem, the *VM kernel* needs to recognize it,
 thus its drivers must be accessible to the kernel before it starts using
 it. Thus, they need either to be compiled into the kernel itself, or to
 be placed somewhere on a different filesystem (and the kernel needs to
 know where to look for them).

 Generally, there is no need to patch XEN loader to use any new
 filesystem in case of PV domUs. The patching way may eventually lead to
 problems due to possible incompatibilities in different patches. It's
 better to just copy the properly compiled (with the required filesystem
 drivers compiled in) PV kernel to dom0 and configure its XEN startup
 parameters.

 The OP indeed has the HVM FreeBSD kernel started OK, but its
 configuration points to continue loading from a non-accessible device.
 It's not a "xen bootloader" issue.

 --
 Best regards,
 Mike.