Date:      Sat, 03 Nov 2012 16:11:04 +1030
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1 stability/robustness?

On 02/11/2012 15:57, Doug Hardie wrote:

> On 1 November 2012, at 19:14, Brett Glass wrote:
>
>> I need to build up a few servers and routers, and am wondering how
>> FreeBSD 9.1 is shaping up. Will it be likely to be more stable and
>> robust than 9.0-RELEASE?
>
> It appears to be for me.  I had problems with 9.0 not reading CDs and
> rebooting with no error messages frequently.  I have upgraded to
> 9.1-RC2 and it now reads CDs just fine, and has not rebooted.
> However, the uptimes with 9.0 ranged from about 2 hours to 30 days.
> I have only had 9.1-RC2 running for a couple weeks so have not
> declared victory yet.  I has been running for more than most of the
> uptimes already.

Personally I have had little issue with 9.0. I started with installing
PC-BSD-9.0RC3 then moved to FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE

Shortly after I installed a world built with clang which found an issue
with libthr that is fixed in 9.1

Until yesterday my only restarts have been power failure or updating
kernel and/or kmods - I seem to have trouble manually unloading the
nvidia kmod so end up restarting. I am fairly certain the restart I had
yesterday is related to cuse4bsd-kmod which I have disabled for now to
try and prove that. While I can load and use the current version the
previous one is the only one I have been able to have activated during
startup.