Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:07:16 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Plugin status

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 10:06:26AM -0800, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> I have been working on the plugin for Mozilla for a while, so I guess I
> should post my results and maybe someone can improve on them.
>
> The plugin compiles, with a few changes to the master Makefile in the
> port.  I attach the diffs at the end of this message.  Basically, the
> plugin needs to find glib12, gmodule12, gdk12, gtk12, and nspr4
> libraries.  The first four come from the glib12 and gtk12 ports, so I
> added LIB_DEPENDS to cover those.  nspr4 is inthe mozilla port, so I
> added a dependency on mozilla to the port.  I don't mind adding the glib
> and gtk dependencies, but the mozilla dependency seems like a stretch,
> especially for someone who doesn't want the plugin.

NSPR is distributed separately from Mozilla, I'm working on a port
of it that I'll submit.  Its taken me longer than I thought
unfortunately :(.

> Anyway, the plugin makefile cannot find the libraries directly, since it
> is looking for -lglib instead of -lglib12, so I added a pre-patch set to
> create a directory and place symbolic links to the actual libraries.
> Then, we can merely set the appropriate make environment variables, and
> the patch builds nicely.
>
> We can solve the nspr4/mozilla problem by including a copy of the i386
> nspr4 library in
> j2sdk1.3.1/plugin/.oji-plugin/src/motif/lib/solaris/i386/libnspr4.so as
> part of the port.  It's up to Greg.

I'd prefer having a simple port of NSPR as stated above :).  No dependency
on Mozilla (its way too big) and no cluttering the JDK with mysterious
libraries ;).

> Also, there is a false comment about needing to build images before
> plugin on i386 in some makefile somewhere.  This is just wrong.  If you
> don't build the plugin before images, the plugin will not be included in
> the installed images.  So, I changed the all target to "all plugin
> images" and everything seems to work.

Agreed, this comment is bogus.

> If you are interested in testing, have a look at
> j2sdk1.3.1/ext/plugin/oji-plugin/src/motif/Notes.  This explains how to
> set up the plugin for debugging.  You need to at least set the
> environment variable THREADS_FLAG=green before starting mozilla, or you
> will get nowhere.  You can also set JAVA_PLUGIN_TRACE to enable the
> creation of plugin trace files in /tmp named plugin_parent131.trace and
> child_java_vm131.trace.  My experiments show that the child runs up to
> the point of calling JNI_CreateJavaVM and dies somewhere in that
> function.  Any furhter details require work with gdb.
>
> I hope this encourages others to help inthe debugging process.

Unfortunately I've been unable to get a decent trace out of java_vm
with gdb :(.  It might need some hand inserted trace statements.  On
the surface it looks like its dying in a call to strlen().

Thanks for working on this Joe!

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Phone : (801) 765 1887