Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2019 11:08:23 -0600
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: rc(4) deprecation

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 11:01 AM John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 12/1/19 9:46 AM, Warner Losh wrote:

> >> Ditto all of the above for cy(4) as well.
> >>

> > IIRC, I didn't remove cy years ago because bde asked me to hold off until
> > he could get it converted... You might ask him how that went...
> I actually removed cy(4) and then reverted it at bde's request.  bde has
> patches for both sio(4) (now gone) and cy(4) that he has sent me before,
> but it just didn't bubble up in the priority list. :-/

I'm not all that hell-bent on removing either of them- if there are
patches in the wild that people use that we can eventually commit,
this is good with me. I'm working on an effort to break apart the tty
lock that would require a small amount of change to said patches to
make it compatible.

It sounds like cy(4) is much further away from a candidate for removal
than rc(4).

Thanks,

Kyle Evans