Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 21:22:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        Henry Stapp <hstapp@redchannel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help with stty

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Henry Stapp wrote:

->Hi All,
->
->This is kind of involved, so thanks in advance to you helpful souls out
->there...
->
->The Problem:
->I can't seem to get the serial port to work right.
->
->The setup:
->I've got a three wire serial cable hooked up to COM1 (cuaa0). The other end

You didn't mention AIX version or type of serial interface on the AIX box
-- but, AIX doesn't really like a 3 wire connection. Spend a dollar or two
more and get either a 25 pin DB25 or 10 conductor RJ if you're going into
a RAN. Be _sure_ they are wired according to IBM specs!

->is hooked up to an AIX (:P) host. I know the cable is working, 'cuz I get a
->login prompt on it from the AIX host on it when I plug it into a PC. I've
->been trying various settings on cuaa0, cuaia0 and cuala0 using "cu -l
->/dev/cuaa0" to connect to the port. I saw the prompt _once_ when I
->unplugged the cable and plugged it back in, so I know the port works, it's
->just not set up quite right.
->
->What I've tried:
->I've tried just about every setting I can think of, including clocal and
->-crtscts. The three devices for one port are kind of confusing, I'm not

So far so good. With software flow control you're limited to 9600 baud for
all practical purposes -- I assume both sides are set up the same. Your
better off, IMHO, with hardware flow control. I would get a cable with at
least 10 wires, set both sides up for crtscts, use /dev/cuaa? on the FBSD
side and set them both up for 19,200+.

On AIX, use SMIT and set up for the correct speed and hardware flow
control with the port set to 'enable'. You will have to add clocal to the
stty settings (I forget what they're labeled in SMIT.) You'll have to
tinker with the terminal type -- vt100 would probably be safe.

If the AIX version is 4.x you should be done. If it's 3.2.x or earlier,
get a whole bottle of Advil -- four won't be enough.

I hope you're not trying to make the FBSD box a console.

-- Jay

->even sure half the time if what I'm doing is having any effect.... do I
->need to reboot for changes in cuala0 to work?
->
->What I need (aside from 4 Advils):
->I need to know the which settings to use and which device to set. Once I
->get it set I'm going to leave the connection set up permanently, so using
->cuala0 would be ok (i guess)....
->
->Thanks a zillion :)
->