Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 09:56:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lars Eighner <eighner@io.com>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installworld fails: unknown groups games

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Scott Mitchell wrote:

> > > 	DON'T FOLLOW THIS ADVICE.
> > >
> > > 	Follow the more precise instuctions in UPDATING.
> > >

> > It wasn't meant as precise advice, just something else to find in
> > updating!
>
> >From /usr/src/UPDATING:
>
> 20020404:
>         Due to the import of sendmail 8.12.2 (see 20020325 entry), a new
>         user and group are required in order for sendmail to run as a
>         set-group-ID binary.  A 'make installworld' will use the new user
>         and group to set the owner and group of /var/spool/clientmqueue
>         and will fail if the new user and group do not exist.  The 'smmsp'
>         user and group must be merged from src/etc/group and
>         src/etc/master.passwd before using 'make installworld'.
>         'mergemaster -p' will do this.  You may need to install
>         mergemaster before this will work if you are updating from a
>         very old version of stable.  This can be done with:
>         cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster; make all install [clean]
>
> So David's advice looks about right to me.
>
> Lars, were you _really_ updating from 3.3 straight to 4.6?

No.  It was a typo.  4.4 -> 4.6.  I wouldn't dream of updating
across a major version number without sacrificing a goat first.

> That's got to
> be asking for trouble.  I'd have spent about a day going through UPDATING
> and the list archives before embarking on anything like that, and probably
> done it in at least two steps 3.3 -> 4.0 -> 4.6.  You're a brave man...I'm
> quite surprised this was the only problem you had!
>
> BTW, the third step in the make world procedure described in the Handbook
> explicitly tells you to check the contents of etc/group, and how to use
> mergemaster -p from an older version.

That's another thing.  I can't get the handbook to make.  I upgraded
all kinds of text handling ports to get the handbook to make for
4.4, but evidently that is all broken now.

--
Lars Eighner
eighner@io.com -finger for geek code-