Date:      Tue, 26 Dec 1995 19:24:53 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        GRWL63A@prodigy.com (MR FRANKLIN N WEINSTEIN)
Cc:        Questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Version 2.1 Install

> I've been trying to install Free BSD from a CD Rom, and I don't
> understand some of the instructions.  I have a DOS based system with
> lots of hard drive space.  However, I only want to reserve 100 MB for
> Free BSD.  I don't understand whether I have to use the FIPS command
> that comes on the CD rom, or if I need to configure a drive using the
> FDISK command.

If you have used up the whole disk for DOS you can use the
fips command at your own risk and shrink the partition by the desired
amount. Then you can go ahead and boot the boot floppy and install
FreeBSD. 100 MB is OK if you don't want X, it may well be sufficient
to build your own kernel and have the man pages on line but not
much more.

Note that when using fips it might be necessary to do an sd
on the DOS disk first and remove eventually hidden files allocating
space at the end of the partition.

> Can you help me to understand how I can do a configuration using the
> install system that comes with this disk?  It seems to me as though
> using the installation command makes the system reserve all its' free
> space for FreeBSD, and like I said, I only want to use about 100 MB.

Depending on the type of CDROM drive you have it may be required to
put the necessary dist files on to the DOS partition and install
from there (in case you have an ATAPI CDROM).