Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:05:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Robert Butler <robertbutler@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there any xDSL driver been supported for FreeBSD?

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Robert Butler wrote:

> --- Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Robert Butler wrote:
> >
> > > or other BSD platforms?
> > >
> > > Any pointers are excellent.
> > >
> > > ps. I understand that most of the DSL
> > modems/routers
> > > using ethernet or ATM as the interface talking to
> > the
> > > host. However, I'm asking about the internal DSL
> > modem
> > > that need DSL driver.
> >
> > most of this stuff is proprietary hardware, if you
> > can
> > figure out the chipset on the card it may be close
> > enough
> > or flat out emulate something we already support.
> >
> > however without that basic information...
> >

> What if I don't mind which chipset to use? As long as
> there is a freebsd or other bsd driver on it I will
> use it and possibly modify it further.

Well if you don't mind, then take a look at the supported
hardware page and try to match up.

but if you didn't understand my question:

The 'chipset' referers to the type of card it is, the same way
you'd tell someone (about your video card)

"It's a Diamond Stealth Viper 2000, or it's a ATI Fury."

Well we need to know the actual designer and what chips the designer
chose to slap onto this card.

Otherwise how are we to know if we have a driver or not?

-Alfred